We are committed to combining the practice of art and the study
of art history in order to foster an understanding of the complex potential of visual communication and culture. Our mission »
Many careers require the kind of careful observational and analytical skills integral to art practice and study.
Studying art at Wake Forest can prepare you for a career that combines the study of art with a wide variety of other interests.
- David Lubin interviewed on All Things Considered, “One Sculptor’s Answer to WWI Wounds: Plaster, Copper and Paint” September 25, 2014
World War I left many soldiers with disfiguring scars. For those whose faces were no longer recognizable, an American artist, Anna Coleman Ladd, sculpted masks to cover their injuries…
- Officially Underground 2014: Sculpture-Video Installations at 505 Baity Street May 01, 2014
In Spring 2014, Joel Tauber’s video art students worked with David Finn’s sculpture students to produce ambitious and exciting sculpture-video installations. They were presented in a large off campus space at 505 Baity Street in Winston-Salem, NC and celebrated in the event “Officially Underground” at the end of the semester.
- Drawing + biology = art – Students, from all majors, submit art for the annual Student Art Exhibition April 25, 2014
The Student Art Exhibition is meant to showcase a strong group of students and work submitted said Paul Bright, director of the Charlotte and Philip Hanes Art Gallery and one of the judges. During the exhibition’s opening reception, six students were awarded a $100 Hanes Gallery Award and pieces by additional student artists were selected ...
- October 7, 2014October 7, 2014 - November 2, 2014
- October 27, 2014October 27, 20147:30 pm-8:30 pmByrum Welcome CenterExamines response of doctors, artists, filmmakers, and beauty-industry professionals to the widespread facial mutilation of soldiers resulting from trench warfare. »
- October 30, 2014"Pyle's Pirates: Howard Pyle, Father of American Illustration, and His Influence on the Silver Screen" by Prof. David LubinOctober 30, 20144:00 pm-5:00 pmZ. Smith Reynolds Library auditoriumAt the turn of the last century, influential book and magazine illustrator Howard Pyle set the course for Hollywood's depictions of King Arthur's knights, Robin Hood's men, and the pirates of the Spanish Main. »
- November 1, 2014November 1, 2014 - November 10, 2014
- November 7, 2014November 7, 2014 - November 23, 2014
- November 10, 2014November 10, 2014 - December 14, 2014Charlotte and Philip Hanes Art Gallery