A.B., 2001, Princeton University (Prof. Maitland Jones, Jr.)
Ph.D., 2007, University of Wisconsin-Madison (Prof. Hans J. Reich)
NIH Post-doctoral Fellow, 2007-2010, California Institute of Technology (Prof. Brian M. Stoltz),
Description of Research
Homogeneous gold(I) catalysts have emerged as powerful reagents for activating unsaturated hydrocarbons (pi-systems) toward nucleophilic addition and involvement in selective skeletal rearrangements. The products of these reactions are important building blocks in syntheses of pharmaceuticals and materials; however, the mechanisms of these processes are not fully understood. Our work is focused on the examination of the structure, formation, and reactivity of gold complexes. This includes a detailed exploration of ligand effects on the kinetics and stability of reactive intermediates relevant to catalysis. The information we obtain will be used to improve the scope, catalytic efficiency, and cost-effectiveness of gold(I) catalysts, thus expanding chemists synthetic capabilities.
- Jones, A. C. Gold p-Complexes as Model Intermediates in Gold Catalysis. Topics Curr. Chem. 2015, 357, 133–166.
- Sriram, M.; Zhu, Y.; Camp, A. M.;* Day, C. S.; Jones, A. C. Structure and Dynamic Behavior of Phosphine Gold(I)-Coordinated Enamines: Characterization of α-Metalated Iminium Ions. Organometallics, 2014, 33, 4157–4164.
Invited to be highlighted with a Cover Illustration.
- Jones, A. C.; May, J. A., Sarpong, R.; Stoltz, B. M. To a Symphony of Reactivity. Cascades Involving Catalysis and Sigmatropic Rearrangements. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 53, 2556–2591.
- Jones, A. C. Spectroscopic Advances in Organolithium Reactivity: The Contribution of Rapid-Injection NMR. Chapter in Lithium Compounds in Organic Synthesis, editors Renzo Luisi and Vito Capriati, Wiley-VCH, 2014. (Invited Book Chapter)
- Zhu, Y.; Day, C. S.; Zhang, L.; Hauser, K.;* Jones, A. C. A Unique Au-Ag-Au Triangular Motif in a Trimetallic Halonium Dication: Silver Incorporation in a Gold(I) Catalyst. Chem. Eur. J. 2013, 19, 12264–12271.
Invited to be highlighted with a Frontispiece Image.
- Zhu, Y.; Day, Cynthia S.; Jones, A. C. Synthesis and Structure of Cationic Phosphine Gold (I) Enol Ether Complexes. Organometallics 2012, 31, 7332–7335.
Awards & Accomplishments
NSF Career Award, 2014-2019