Dr. Jennifer Rogers
Dr. Jennifer Rogers
Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since July 2012
Ph.D. in Counseling and Counselor Education, Syracuse University, 2013
Certificate of Advanced Study in Conflict Resolution, Maxwell School of Syracuse University, 2011
MA in Counseling, Wake Forest University, 2008
BFA in Acting and BA in English, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2001
Research and Special Interests:
Alcohol screening and brief interventions; process and outcome research; psychodynamic and feminist theory
- University Fellow, Syracuse University, 2008-2012
- Harriet Cook Ellis Dedication to the Field of Counseling Award, Wake Forest University Department of Counseling, 2008
Professional Service (selected):
- International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors; Treasurer (2010)
- Chi Sigma Iota, Sigma Upsilon Chapter, President-Elect (2009-2010); President (2010-2011)
Short- and long-term clinical mental health counseling with clients in both primary care and university counseling center settings; brief screening and alcohol interventions with trauma patients in a hospital setting.
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected):
- National Certified Counselor
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Chi Sigma Iota
Recent Publications (selected):
- Stanciu, E.A., & Rogers, J.L. (2011). Survivors of political violence: Conceptualizations, empirical findings, and ecological interventions. International Journal for the Advancement of Counseling.
- Shin, R. Q., Rogers, J.L., Stanciu, E. A., Silas, M., Brown-Smythe, C., & Austin, B. (2010). Advancing social justice in urban schools through the implementation of transformative groups for youth of color. The Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 35(3), 230-235.
- Veach, L. J., Rogers, J.L., & Essic, E.J. (2012). Substance addictions. In D. Capuzzi & M.D. Stauffer (Eds.) Foundations of Addictions Counseling, 2nd ed. Old Tappan, NJ: Allyn and Bacon.
- Veach, L. J. Hollander (Gamb), E.P., & Rogers, J.L. (2012). Process addictions. In D. Capuzzi & M.D. Stauffer (Eds.) Foundations of Addictions Counseling, 2nd ed. Old Tappan, NJ: Allyn and Bacon.
- Leung, S.M.A., Clawson, T.W., Norsworthy, K.L., Tena, A., Szilagyi, A., & Rogers, J.L. (2009). Internationalization of the counseling profession: An indigenous perspective. In L.H. Gerstein, P. P. Heppner, S. Ægisdóttir , S.M.A. Leung, & K.L. Norsworthy (Eds.) International Handbook of Cross-Cultural Counseling. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Recent Presentations (selected):
- Rogers, J.L., Cashwell, T., Emerson, C., Forti, A., Warden, S. (October 2014) Leaning In Without Losing Balance. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision confererence, Birmingham, AL.
- Moro, R. & Rogers, J.L. (October 2012). Creating Social Change Agents Using Unique Clinical Placements. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference, Savannah, GA.
- Veach, L.J., Moro, R., Rogers, J.L., Miller, P., Reboussin, O’Brien, M.C. (September 2011). Cultural Considerations: Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention in a Southern U.S. Level I Trauma Center. International Network on Brief Interventions for Alcohol Problems International Conference, Boston, MA.
- Gilbride, D.G., Rogers, J.L., Stanciu, E.A., Spieglehoff, S.F., & Brown-Smythe, C. (October 2010). The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao: Could an Ecological Approach Have Saved Him? North Atlantic Association of Counselor Education & Supervision Regional Conference, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Rogers, J.L. & Veach, L.J. (March 2010). The Teachable Moment: Screening and Brief Intervention for Admitted Trauma Patients. American Counseling Association Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Shin, R., Rogers, J.L., & Stanciu, E.A. (October 2009). Advancing Social Justice in Urban Schools Through the Implementation of Transformative Groups for African American Youth. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Rogers, J.L., Arthur, M.E., Veach, L.J., & Moro, R.R. (October 2009). Biopsychosocial Transformation: Bringing Counselor Education to Medical Settings. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Rogers, J. L. & Stanciu, E.A. (October 2009). Towards a New Understanding of Relational-Cultural Theory: Context, Content, Critiques, & Contributions. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Rogers, J.L. & Veach, L.J. (October 2009). Counselors in Medical Settings. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference, San Diego, CA.
Some of my favorite things include: playing with my son, laughing with my husband, long talks with my friends and family, short talks with my pets, going out for breakfast, taking walks, old houses, and New York City.
Page updated: 10/13/14