Dr. Sam Gladding
Dr. Sam Gladding
Dr. Gladding speaks on treating students as professionals (MP3 download)
Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since 1990
Ph.D. in Family Relations, UNC-Greensboro
MA in Counselor Education, Wake Forest University
MA in Religion, Yale University
BA in History, Wake Forest University
Research and Special Interests:
Family Counseling, Professional Issues, Creativity in Counseling, Group Counseling.
- David K. Brooks Distinguished Mentoring Award, ACA 2011
- Arthur A. Hitchcock Distinguished Professional Service Award, ACA, 2010
- Samuel T. Gladding Inspiration and Motivation Award, Association for Creativity in Counseling (ACC), 2008
- Gilbert and Kathleen Wrenn Award for a Humanitarian & Caring Person, ACA, 2007
- Fellow, ACA, 2007
Professional Service (selected):
- Chair, American Counseling Association Foundation, 2010-2011
- President, American Association of State Counseling Licensure Boards, 2010-2011
- President, American Counseling Association, 2004-2005
- President, Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES), 1996-1997
- President, Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW), 1993-1994
- President, Chi Sigma Iota, 1989-1990
- CNS 740: Professional Orientation to Counseling
- FY Seminar on Creativity
- CNS 764: Creative Arts in Counseling
- CNS 773: Family Counseling
Volunteer Counselor for CareNet of the Triad
Professional Licensure and Memberships (selected):
- Licensed Professional Counselor in North Carolina
- National Certified Counselor
- Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor
- American Counseling Association
- North Carolina Counseling Association
- Association for Creativity in Counseling
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors
- Association for Specialists in Group Work
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
Recent Publications (Selected):
- Gladding, S.T. (2014). Family Therapy: History, Theory, and Practice (6th edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson
- Gladding, S. T. (2013). Counseling: A Comprehensive Profession (7th edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson
- Gladding, S. T. (2012). Groups: A Counseling Specialty (6th edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson
- Gladding, S.T. (2012). Art in Counseling. In C.A. Malchiodi (Ed.), Handbook of Art Therapy (2nd ed.) (pp. 263-274). New York: Guilford.
- Gladding, S. T. (2011). The Creative Arts in Counseling (4th edition). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association
- Kaplan. D.M.; Gladding, S. T. (2011) A vision for the future of counseling: the 20/20 principles for unifying and strengthening the profession. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89, 367-372.
- Gladding, S. T. (2010). Family Therapy: History, Theory, and Practice (5th edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Gladding, S. T. (2010). Creativity and spontaneity in groups. In R. K. Conyne (Ed.), The Oxford Handbooks of Group Counseling (pp. 383-396). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Gladding, S. T., & Martin, B. (2010). Creativity and self-esteem in later life. In M. Guindon (Ed.) Self-Esteem Across the Lifespan (pp. 311-323). New York: Routledge.
- Gladding, S. T., & Wallace, M .J. D. (2010). The potency and power of counseling stories. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 5, 15-24.
Recent presentations (selected):
- Gladding, S. T. (2011, August). Beyond the clichés and drivel: Stages, strategies, and some modest suggestions for making the most of an ACA leadership experience. American Counseling Association Leadership Institute. Alexandria, VA
- Gladding, S. T. (2011, March). The creative arts in counseling. American Counseling Association Conference. New Orleans, LA
- Gladding, S. T. (2011, March). Counseling globally. American Counseling Association Conference. New Orleans, LA
- Gladding, S. T. (2010, September). It’s not working: Creativity to the rescue (keynote). Association for Creativity in Counseling National Convention, Portland, OR.
- Gladding, S. T. (2010, May/June). Family therapy: Universals. (2 day workshops at select universities in Ankara, Istanbul, and Izmir, Turkey as a Fulbright Specialist).
- Gladding, S. T. (March, 2010). Humor and Mental Health: Approaches to Finding Wellness in the Wit of Life. American Counseling Association Conference, Pittsburgh, PA
- Kaplan, D., Gladding, S. T., & Mascari, B. (2010). The continuing work of 20/20: A vision for the future of counseling. American Counseling Association Conference, Pittsburgh, PA
- Gladding, S. T. (2010, February). Where did all the good people go? Altruism, Caring, and Counseling (Heintzelman Lecture), University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Enjoys, tennis, swimming, walking, writing, humor and Wake Forest athletics. Clarified my life when I married because my wife is named “Claire.” We are the parents of three sons in their early to mid 20s. Additional information on my interests is available here: http://college.wfu.edu/sites/sam-gladding/
Page updated: 8/29/13