Online Campus State Specific Information

The Wake Forest University Department of Counseling is excited to offer the MA Counseling and MA Human Services degree programs through online delivery.

Below is state specific information pertinent to Online Campus students living in the states listed.

*Please note that this list is NOT comprehensive and it is the responsibility of the student to periodically review the requirements for licensure in the state in which they reside and/or plan to seek licensure.



Wake Forest University’s online Counseling programs are exempt from authorization requirements under AS 14.48 because the program is online or distance delivered and does not have a physical presence in the state.  20 AAC 17.900 (a)(12) defines physical presence as presence of a facility, faculty, or staff within the state; in this paragraph, ‘faculty’ and ‘staff’ do not include site supervisors or mentors for local internships or practica, or adjunct personnel.



Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution, course or degree program. Such certification merely indicates that certain minimum standards have been met under the rules and regulations of institutional certification as defined in Arkansas Code §6-61-301.

Additionally, students should be aware that these degree programs may not transfer. The transfer of course/degree credit is determined by the receiving institution.


Wake Forest University is authorized to provide online, distance, or correspondence education to Georgia students by the Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (NPEC) of Georgia. Students living in Georgia may find information about filing complaints through the NPEC Complaint Process here.


This institution is authorized by:

The Indiana Board for Proprietary Education
101 W. Ohio St., Suite 670
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984


Please note that Clinical Mental Health Counseling students may not qualify to seek licensure in Kansas due to educational “in residence” requirements outlined by the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board. See their website here for more information regarding Clinical Mental Health Counseling Licensure in Kansas.


Wake Forest University is currently licensed by the Board of Regents of the State of Louisiana. Licenses are renewed by the State Board of Regents every two years. Licensed institutions have met minimal operational standards set forth by the state, but licensure does not constitute accreditation, guarantee the transferability of credit, nor signify that programs are certifiable by any professional agency or organization.


Due to higher education regulation changes effective July 1, 2011, Wake Forest University is registered with the Maryland Higher Education Commission and authorized by the Commission to offer the Online Campus delivery of the MA Counseling and MA Human Services degree programs. The Maryland Higher Education Commission requires an annual registration, and the renewal application evaluation is in progress.

Additionally, students living in Maryland may find information describing the process for filing and resolution of student complaints in the Wake Forest University Graduate Student Handbook. Wake Forest University is subject to investigation of complaints by the Office of the Attorney General or the Maryland Higher Education Commission.


The Maryland Higher Education Commission may be contacted at:

6 N. Liberty Street, 10th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
410.767.3301 or Toll Free: 1.800.974.0203

The Maryland Attorney General may be contacted at:

Maryland Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
410.528.8662 or Toll Free: 1.888.743.00823


Online Campus students living in Mississippi may make a formal complaint with the Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation here.


Online Campus students living in Missouri, please note that you have access to MOBIUS, a consortium of Missouri’s academic libraries. Access MOBIUS here.

Additionally, please note that Clinical Mental Health Counseling students may not qualify to seek licensure in Missouri due to educational requirements outlined by the Committee for Professional Counselors with the Missouri Division of Professional Registration. See their website here for more information regarding Clinical Mental Health Counseling Licensure in Missouri.

New Mexico

Online students living in New Mexico and wishing to file a student complaint should contact the New Mexico Higher Education Department at 2044 Galisteo Street,  Sante Fe, NM 87505.   You can send them an email from this link:  or call them at   (505) 476-8400.



Wake Forest University (although exempt from oversight by the Texas Workforce Commission) is regulated by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).  Contact information for the THECB when filing a student grievance is available here:   Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code contains the rules that govern the student grievance process, and is available here:$ext.ViewTAC/tac_view=5&ti=19&pt=1&ch=1&sch=E&rl=Y

The Wake Forest University graduate student grievance process is outlined in the Graduate Student Handbook, available in the ‘Quick Links’ section of this website:

Wake Forest University is legally authorized to operate in North Carolina, and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS) to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097 or call 404-679- 4500 for questions about the accreditation of Wake Forest University.  Wake Forest University’s Counseling programs are also accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP) 1001 North Fairfax Street, Suite 510, Alexandria, VA  22314  phone (703) 535-5990  fax (703) 739-6209.


Online Campus students living in Utah may make a formal complaint with the Utah Department of Commerce, Division of Consumer Protection by clicking here.



Wake Forest University is authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree-Granting Institutions Act. This authorization is subject to periodic review and authorizes Wake Forest University to offer field placement components for specific degree programs. The Council may be contacted for a list of currently authorized programs. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the act or the applicability of those requirements to the institution may contact the Council at PO Box 43430, Olympia, WA 98504-3430.