Planning for Study Abroad and Summer School Elsewhere

Study abroad, summer school elsewhere, and generally gaining experience at other universities provide rich experiences for students. We encourage students to take advantage of these opportunities and do all we can to provide support.

In order to expedite the process, students who plan on these activities must meet with their Computer Science major or minor advisor to discuss options and review the program and courses they are interested in. This should be done during the advising period prior to the semester abroad or summer school session, earlier if possible. Students who have not yet declared a Computer Science major or minor and wish to take computer science courses abroad or in summer school may want to make an appointment with a computer science faculty member by contacting the department administrative assistant.

Note: Before completing the information for the College, students should first follow the procedure for the Computer Science Department.

College Procedure: For students wishing to take courses within the US for transfer credit, in addition to Computer Science policy and procedures, are also subject to those of the College. Please read the information here. For  students planning to study abroad, a “Semester Course Approval Form for Study Abroad”must be completed.

Computer Science Procedure: All students seeking course approval for summer school elsewhere or transfer credit have the ability through WIN to review already approved courses. Students should review these, and if already approved must still apply for approval via the registrar. Students must do this prior to taking the class as even if courses have been approved, they also must be approved for each student individually.

For study abroad, students should email the department administrative assistant with the course(s) being considered by the student to see if it has been previously reviewed by the department. The student will notified whether or not the course(s) has been reviewed and if it has, what if any transfer credit is allowed. If the course(s) has not been previously reviewed, then email the following to the department administrative assistant:

  • URL for the university where the courses are offered.
  • URL for the program or department of the courses.
  • URL for the courses. If the syllabus is not in the course URL, then attach a syllabus.
  • Information about number of lecture and lab sessions and the length of each if not included on the website or in the syllabus.
  • Any other pertinent information.

All attachments should have file names that reflect the university name, course number and name, etc. Generic file names such as “syllabus.pdf” should not be sent. The student will be notified of the result of the course(s) review, usually within about two weeks.