Three master’s degree programs are available in graduate teacher education.
Initial Licensure – Master Teacher Fellows (MTF). This thirteen-month program involves coursework and fieldwork, including one semester of full-time student teaching. It is now offered for either Secondary (grades 9-12) or for Elementary (grades K-6). For secondary, students must have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent coursework) in one of our content areas: English, Foreign Languages (French or Spanish, K-12), Mathematics, Science (Biology, Chemistry, or Physics), and Social Studies.
Advanced Licensure – Master Teacher Associates (MTA). This program provides an extension of the candidate’s current teaching license. It is also thirteen months and it includes coursework and other requirements to foster extension of the candidate’s development in content, pedagogy, and leadership. It is offered for either Elementary or Secondary levels. See MTA Curriculum
Non-Licensure – Master of Educational Studies (MES). This program is for students who are interested in education, but choose not to seek a teaching license. See MES Curriculum (PDF).
Certificate Program. A new Certificate program is available. The Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Certificate is appropriate for those with elementary, secondary, or higher education interest. See template for certificate.program.
- Academics – Environment of academic rigor and high achievement
- Faculty – Nationally-recognized faculty experts in each content area
- Research – Plan, conduct, and report an original study on teaching
- Field Work – Observation, tutoring, and internship with master teachers in local public schools
- Technology – Learn to integrate technology into teaching
- Colleagues – Cohort groups of like-minded future teachers
- Financial Aid – Eligible for generous financial support, including full scholarships
All programs are fully accredited by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) and by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
For more information about Graduate Teacher Education