Secondary Education students should be formally admitted to the program by April 1st of their Junior year. Students will be considered for provisional admittance into the program if additional time is required. The final deadline for provisional admittance is August 15th following the junior year.
Formal admission to the program occurs when the following requirements have been met:
- Successful completion of EDU 201, EDU 201L, EDU 311 and EDU 311L
- A grade point average of 2.50 or higher (minimum 2.50 must be maintained throughout the program)
- Completion of the Secondary Non-Licensure Application Form
- Successful completion of an interview with the Education Content Coordinator
- Successful completion of an interview with a Major Content Advisor
- Filing the appropriate paperwork with the Registrar’s office to declare education minor (or social studies major)
- Positive recommendations as a strong candidate for teaching by the instructors of EDU 201, 201L, 311, and 311L and by the public school teacher who supervised EDU 201L and EDU 311L.
- In addition to the above requirements Foreign Language Candidates are encouraged to take the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview. (Please contact Mary Lynn Redmond for more information.)
After the application materials are received by the Department of Education you will receive a letter stating the decision on your application. There are three responses: formal acceptance, rejection, or acceptance deferred. The deferred decision includes the conditions for formal acceptance.