Dr. Laura Louise Aull
Assistant Professor of English and Linguistics
Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow, National Academy of Education 2016-2017
Office: C103 Tribble Hall Phone: (336) 758-4399 Email: email@example.com
- PhD, University of Michigan
- MA, University of Notre Dame
- MEd, University of Notre Dame
- BA, University of Notre Dame
Areas of Interest
- Corpus linguistics
- Combined linguistic and rhetorical approaches to contemporary discourse
- Institutional history of English studies
- First-year writing
- Writing program administration and assessment
- Discourse and development of English textbooks
Courses Taught at Wake Forest
- ENG 306/606, LIN 340: Language in American Essays
- ENG 390/690: Structure of the English Language
- ENG 399/699: Written Language in a Digital Era
- WRI 111: Slang to Schoolbooks
- WRI 111: Making America
- First-Year University Writing: A Corpus-Based Study with Implications for Pedagogy. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 2015.
- “Elaborated Specificity vs. Emphatic Generality: A Corpus-Based Comparison of Higher and Lower Scoring Advanced Placement Exams in English.” with David Brown. Forthcoming in Research in the Teaching of English.
- “Genre Analysis: Considering the Initial Reviews” with John Swales. Journal of English for Academic Purposes. 2015.
- “Connecting writing and language in assessment: Examining style, tone, and argument in the US Common Core standards and in exemplary student writing. Assessing Writing, 24, 59-73. 2015.
- “Linguistic Attention in Rhetorical Genre Studies and First-Year Writing.” Composition Forum 31, Spring 2015.
- “Linguistic markers of stance in incoming university writing.” with Zak Lancaster. Written Communication. 1 (33). 2014.
- “Directed self-placement questionnaire design: Practices, problems, possibilities.” with Christie Toth. Assessing Writing, Issue 20. April 2014. 1-18.
- “Local Assessment: Using Genre Analysis to Validate Directed Self-Placement.” with Anne Ruggles Gere, Zak Lancaster, Moises Perales-Escudero, and Elizabeth Vander Lei. College Composition and Communication. 64.4. June 2013.
- “Students creating canons.” Pedagogy. 12.3. Spring 2013.
- “Fighting words: A corpus analysis of gender representations in sports reportage.” with David West Brown. Corpora. 8.1. 2013.
- “Assessing the Validity of Directed Self Placement at a Large University.” with Anne Ruggles Gere, Tim Green, Anne Porter. Assessing Writing. 3.15 2010.