Dr. Laura Aull
Associate Professor of English and Linguistics
Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow, National Academy of Education, 2016-2018
Dunn-Riley Family Faculty Fellow, 2015-2018
Office: C103 Tribble Hall. Phone: (336) 758-4399. Email: email@example.com
- PhD, University of Michigan
- MA, University of Notre Dame
- MEd, University of Notre Dame
- BA, University of Notre Dame
Areas of Interest
- Corpus linguistics
- Rhetorical and applied linguistic genre studies
- First-year writing/ composition
- Writing program administration and assessment
- Institutional history of English studies
Courses Taught at Wake Forest
- ENG 390/690: Structure of the English Language
- ENG 306/606, LIN 340: Language in American Essays
- ENG 399/699: Written Language in a Digital Era
- WRI 210: Advanced Academic Writing
- WRI 111: Slang to Schoolbooks
- “Tools and Tech: A New Forum.” Assessing Writing. 2017.
- “Generality in Student and Expert Epistemic Stance: A Corpus Analysis of First-Year, Upper-Level, and Published Academic Writing.” with Dineth Bandarage and Meredith Miller. Journal of English for Academic Purposes. 2017.
- “Elaborated Specificity vs. Emphatic Generality: A Corpus-Based Comparison of Higher and Lower Scoring Advanced Placement Exams in English.” with David West Brown. Research in the Teaching of English. 2017.
- First-Year University Writing: A Corpus-Based Study with Implications for Pedagogy. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 2015.
- “Connecting Writing and Language in Assessment: Examining Style, Tone, and Argument in the US Common Core Standards and in Exemplary Student Writing.” Assessing Writing, 24, 59-73. 2015.
- “Linguistic Attention in Rhetorical Genre Studies and First-Year Writing.” Composition Forum 31, Spring 2015.
- “Linguistic Markers of Stance in Incoming University Writing.” with Zak Lancaster. Written Communication. 1 (33). 2014.
- “Genre Analysis: Considering the Initial Reviews” with John Swales. Journal of English for Academic Purposes. 2015.
- Directed Self-Placement Questionnaire Design: Practices, Problems, Possibilities.” with Christie Toth. Assessing Writing, Issue 20. April 2014. 1-18.
- “Local Assessment: Using Genre Analysis to Validate Directed Self-Placement.” with Anne Ruggles Gere, Zak Lancaster, Moises Perales-Escudero, and Elizabeth Vander Lei. College Composition and Communication. 64.4. June 2013.
- “Students Creating Canons.” Pedagogy. 12.3. Spring 2013.