Office: C5-C Tribble Hall
PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (ABD)
MA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
BA, Kenyon College
Areas of Interest
- U.S. Literature and Culture
- Literature & Science
- Systems & Networks
- Herman Melville
- American Pragmatism
Courses at Wake Forest
- ENG 150: Detectives and Detection: U.S. Fiction 1841-Present
- ENG 150: Literary and Scientific Methods: the U.S. Nineteenth Century
- ENG 175: American Literature: Race, Heredity, and Genetics (with Lisa Klarr)
Selected Publications and Work in Progress
- Melville’s Ontology (under advance contract, Northwestern UP).
- Rethinking Ahab: Melville and the Materialist Turn (edited collection, under development).
- “Herman Melville and Joseph Henry at the Albany Academy; or, Melville’s Education in Science” (under revision, Leviathan)
- “A Natural History of Intellect?” Approaches to Teaching Emerson’s Essays and Other Works (forthcoming, Modern Language Association)
- “‘This Registers the Amount of Your Purchase’: The Price of Expectation,” Eureka Studies in Teaching Short Fiction: Volume on Stephen Crane (Fall 2007).
- American Philosophical Society (2013)
- Smithsonian Institution Libraries (2014)
- Bakken Museum of Electricity (2014)
- Chemical Heritage Foundation (2015)