ThinkPad Security Software
Back to ThinkPad Training Resources
- Virus Protection
- For Windows 8 – Microsoft Security Essentials is the WFU standard virus scanning software package. A weekly virus scan is scheduled on Tuesday at 11:00 a.m.
- For Windows 7 and earlier – Symantec Endpoint Protection is the WFU standard virus scanning software package. A weekly virus scan is scheduled on Tuesday at 11:00 a.m.
- Malware Protection – There are links in the All Programs list, under _WFU Security and AntiVirus menu, to download the latest version of Malwarebytes and SpyBot – Search and Destroy. See tips on avoiding deceptive software.
- Automatic Spam Detection – All incoming EMail passes through a spam filtering server prior to reaching your EMail inbox. EMail that scores sufficiently high on the spam rating scale is automatically blocked and collected on the spam server. You can view and approve blocked EMail by loging into the Postini server at: https://postini.wfu.edu .
- Automatic Updates– Updates to the operating system are automatically downloaded to your ThinkPad when you log into a wired or wireless Ethernet connection on campus. Microsoft updates will include fixes to MS applications, security patches and/or software reliability patches.NOTE:It is important that you log into a wired connection on a regular basis and allow updates to be installed to your computing devices.