Don’t Keep All Your Eggs In One Basket

I found the following article on How-To-Geek today during my daily perusal of various feeds. It is a good reminder that locking ourselves into a single service, technology, app or whatever is just asking for trouble. Life in the technology world is one of constant change. Ignore that at your peril.

I’ve already made mention of the demise of google reader on this site. Right now I’m going back and forth between Feedly and NetVibes as they seem to be the two leading contenders. As with many products, it seems to come down to whether you favor more simplicity (Feedly) or options/customization/control (NetVibes). I like Feedly’s clean interface, but I don’t like the limited keyboard shortcuts. NetVibes keyboard shortcuts are more to my liking but I don’t like the interface as much.

I was sorry to see that the developer of FeedDemon announce that the closing of google reader meant he was not going to continue developing his program. Fortunately for his users, he is going to continue to offer one last version.