Weird blurring in Google Chrome in Windows 8

Chrome iconBlurry Chrome Icon

I’ve recently started to see a weird blurring problem in Google Chrome when scrolling web pages. As I scroll down the page, everything goes blurry for a second, then it pops into focus. It’s almost like an auto-focus in a camera. It was driving me nuts!

So I did what any self-respecting geek does when faced with a problem. First, I asked my other geek friends if they had seen it and if they knew a solution. They had seen it, but didn’t have a solution. Oh well, time to start Googling (actually I use Duck, Duck, Go, but that’s another post).

Note: I only saw this on my Windows 8 laptop (Lenovo Carbon X1) with the current version of Chrome running in the desktop mode. 

I found lots of posts suggesting updating video drivers or making sure I was using manufacturer drivers instead of the generic Microsoft video driver. That doesn’t apply in my situation because I’m up to date on my drivers and I’m only seeing it in Chrome.

Then I found this page. This looks promising.

Basically, it say to disable display scaling for Chrome. Here’s how you do it.

1. Locate your Chrome.exe. For a typical Windows 8 installation, it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
  2. Right click chrome.exe and select Properties
  3. Chrome PropertiesClick on the Compatibility tab
  4. Check the box that says Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
  5. Click OK

The original author indicated that (s)he had to log out and log back in. I did not experience that. Also, the original author had his/her display set to 150%. Mine was always set to 100% and I was having the blurring issue.

So far, this has resolved my issue.