Highly motivated students who would like to further expand or apply their study beyond the normal course offerings can undertake Internships, Individual Studies, or Directed Readings if they fulfill the minimum overall GPA requirement of 3.0. No more than 3 hours for any one or any combination of the following three courses may be counted toward the major.
It is the student’s responsibility to contact a faculty member to sign up for one of the courses. The specifics about work load/assignments will be determined by the faculty member. General guidelines are provided below:
- Individual Study (POL 287)
- 2 hours: 20 Page research paper
- 3 hours: 25 page research paper
- Directed Reading (POL 288)
- 2 hours: student and faculty mentor meet every two weeks; suggested reading volume includes 3 books or 10 scholarly articles (or a combination of the two
- 3 hours: student and faculty mentor meet every two weeks; suggested reading volume 5 books or 15 scholarly articles (or a combination of the two)
- Internship (POL 289)
- 2 hours: journal and 15 page research paper
- 3 hours: journal and 20 page research paper
Students may obtain applications for internships, independent studies, and directed readings by clicking here.
Journal guidelines can be found here.
Information about Internship Opportunities
Information from the American Political Science Association
Information from WFU Career Services
Information from the Department of Politics and International Affairs
Internship Reviews from WFU students (wfu log-in required)