Highly motivated students who would like to further expand or apply their study beyond the normal course offerings can undertake Individual Studies or Directed Readings if they fulfill the minimum overall GPA requirement of 3.0.
No more than 3 credit hours for any one or any combination of the following three courses may be counted toward the major.
It is the student’s responsibility to contact a faculty member to sign up for one of the courses during the fall or spring semester. Every year a faculty member is designated to oversee your independent student project if you want to pursue it during the summer sessions.
The specifics about work load/assignments will be determined by the faculty member. General guidelines are provided below:
- Individual Study (POL 287)
- 2 hours: 20 Page research paper
- 3 hours: 25 page research paper
- Directed Reading (POL 288)
- 2 hours: student and faculty mentor meet every two weeks; suggested reading volume includes 3 books or 10 scholarly articles (or a combination of the two
- 3 hours: student and faculty mentor meet every two weeks; suggested reading volume 5 books or 15 scholarly articles (or a combination of the two)
- Internship (POL 289)
Students may obtain applications for independent studies and directed readings by clicking here.