Dr. Michaelle Browers
WGS Rotating Core Faculty and Associate Professor of Political Science
Office: Tribble Hall C306
Phone: (336) 758-3535
Ph.D. University of Minnesota, Political Science
M.A. University of Virginia, Government
B.A. Whitman College, Politics
POL 269/ENG 302: Multiculturalism in Literature and Political Theory
POL 277: Feminist Political Thought
Arab and Islamic Political Thought
- Political Ideology in the Arab World: Accommodation and Transformation (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Democracy and Civil Society in Arab Political Thought: Transcultural Possibilities (Syracuse University Press, 2006).
- An Islamic Reformation? ed. with Charles Kurzman (Lexington Books, 2004).
- “Official Islam and the Limits of Communicative Action: The Paradox of the Amman Message.” Third World Quarterly 32:5 (2011), 943-958.
- “Origins and Architects of Yemen’s Joint Meeting Parties,” International Journal of Middle East Studies 39:4 (2007), pp. 565-86.
- “The Egyptian Movement for Change: Intellectual Antecedents and Generational Conflicts,” Contemporary Islam: Dynamics of Muslim Life 1:1 (2007), pp. 69-88.
- “The Centrality and Marginalization of Women in the Political Discourse of Arab Nationalists and Islamists,” Journal of Middle East Women’s Studies 2:2 (2006), pp 8-34.
- “The Secular Bias of Ideology Studies and the Problem of Islamism,” Journal of Political Ideologies 10:1 (2005), pp. 75-93.