Dr. Shannon Gilreath
Professor of Law and Professor of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Office: Worrel 3324
Phone: (336) 758-6114
J.D.: Wake Forest University (Brown Scholar)
B.A.: Lenoir-Rhyne College
WGS 377 Special Topics: Men, Women, and Pornography
WGS 321 (LAW 651) Research Seminar: Men, Women, and Pornography
Sexuality and the Law
Law and Religion/Morality
Law and Society/Social Change
- Sexual Orientation and Identity: Political and Legal Analysis. West Academic College Textbook Series (with Lydia Lavelle, 2016).
- Sexual Identity Law in Context: Cases and Materials (West, American Casebook Series, 2007) (with updates). (2nd ed., with Lydia Lavelle, Dec., 2011)
- The End of Straight Supremacy: Realizing Gay Liberation (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
- Sexual Politics: The Gay Person in America Today (University of Akron Press, Law, Politics, and Society Series) (2006).
- “Pornography/Death: The Problem of Gay Pornography in a Straight Supremacist System,” in Nicholas Bamforth, Sexual Orientation and Rights (Ashgate, 2015, International Library of Essays on Rights).
- Examining Critical Race Theory: Outsider Jurisprudence and HIV/AIDS—a Perspective on Desire and Power, 23 LAW AND INEQUALITY 371 (2015) (invited)
- Feminism and Gay Liberation: Together in Struggle, 91 U. DENVER L. REV. 109-139 (2014) (invited)
- Toward a Multiple-Consciousness of Language: A Tribute to Professor Mari Matsuda, 112 MICH. L. REV. 91 (2014) (invited).
- The Internet and Inequality: A Comment on the NSA Spying Scandal, 49 WAKE FOREST. L. REV. 525 (2014).
- In Memory of Ann Scales, 3 WAKE FOREST J. OF LAW AND POL’Y. v (2013).
- Trans/Sex, 1 IUS INKARRI 89-104 (2012) (Spanish-language journal, Universidad Ricardo Palma, Faculty of Law and Political Science, Lima, Peru).
- Why Gays Should Not Serve in the United States Armed Forces: A Gay Liberationist Statement of Principle, 18 WILLIAM & MARY J. OF WOMEN & THE LAW 7-34 (FALL, 2011) (invited).
- Patriarchal Religion, Sexuality, and Gender: An Introductory Essay, 1 WAKE FOREST J. OF LAW & POLICY 197-205 (2011).
- “Against Same-Sex Marriage,” published as Shannon Gilreath, Debate, The Argument for Same-Sex Marriage, 159 U. Pa. L. Rev. PENNumbra 21 (2010).
- “Not a Moral Issue: Same Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty,” 2010 U. Ill. L. Rev. 205 (2010).
- “Some Penetrating Observations on the Fifth Anniversary of Lawrence v. Texas: Privacy, Dominance, and Substantive Equality Theory,” 30 Women’s Rights Law Reporter 442-478 (2009).
- “”Tell Your Faggot Friend He Owes Me $500 for My Broken Hand:” Thoughts on a Substantive Equality Theory of Free Speech,” 44 Wake Forest Law Review 557-615 (2009).
- “Transforming Teenagers into Sex Felons: The Persistence of the Crime Against Nature after Lawrence v. Texas,” 43 Wake Forest Law Review 155-221 (2008) (with Michael Kent Curtis).
- “Sexually Speaking: “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and the First Amendment after Lawrence v. Texas,” 15 Duke Journal of Gender, Law, and Policy 127-193 (2008).
- “Of Fruit Flies and Men: Rethinking Immutability in Equal Protection Analysis–with a View toward a Constitutional Moral Imperative,” 9 Journal of Law and Social Change 1 (2006).
- “The Technicolor Constitution: Popular Constitutionalism, Ethical Norms, and Legal Pedagogy,” 9 University of Texas Journal on Civil Liberties and Civil Rights 23-44 (2003).
- “Cruel and Unusual Punishment and the Eighth Amendment as a Mandate for Human Dignity: Another Look at Original Intent,” lead article, 25th Anniversary edition, 25 Thomas Jefferson Law Review 559-592 (2003).