What Can I Do with a Women’s Studies Degree?
Like other liberal arts degrees, a degree in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies will give you skills that are attractive to employers in a wide variety of fields:
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Confident oral presentation skills
- Effective writing skills
- Strong research skills
In addition, a degree in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies will give you a unique set of skills. A study of Women’s Studies graduates (Luebke and Reilly 1995) found that WS graduates gained the following from their degrees:
- Empowerment and self-confidence
- Critical thinking skills
- Community-building skills
- Ability to understand differences between and intersections among racism, homophobia, sexism, classism, ableism, anti-Semitism and other types of oppression
A degree in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies can prepare you for a wide variety of graduate or professional programs, including law school, medical school, MA programs, and Ph.D. programs.
In addition, a degree in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies can prepare you for employment in a wide variety of fields, including business, education, politics, social services, and media and the arts. In the same study (Luebke and Reilly 1995), the researchers found that Women’s Studies graduates held a wide variety of specific positions, including:
* University professor * Elementary or high school teacher * Physician * Legislator * Journalist * Lawyer * Artist * Musician * Actor * Health clinic coordinator * Small-business owner * Clinical social worker * Medical administrator * Nurse, Nurse-midwife * Legislative aide, lobbyist * Public relations manager * Advocate for domestic violence survivors * Librarian * Television writer * Psychotherapist * Energy conservation manager * Film-casting director * HIV educator * Union organizer * Novelist * Chiropractor
The Office of Personal and Career Development is a wonderful resource. The Department encourages students to start working with the staff there early in their undergraduate careers. The contact for Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies students is:
Assistant Director of Career Education and Coaching