Updated 7/26/19

External fellowships are a mechanism that can allow a faculty member to take a leave outside of the Junior or Reynolds Leave mechanism. Being awarded an external fellowship is a significant professional accomplishment and is encouraged by the College.  However, many fellowships do not cover a faculty member’s full salary for a semester or a year. As stated in the Scholarly Leaves section of this website, faculty members seeking full-year Reynolds Leave will receive two-thirds of their salary, while those seeking a full year Junior Leave will receive half salary. Therefore, faculty members are encouraged to coordinate the timing of a leave application with an external fellowship application so that they might cover their full salary during a year-long leave.

Effective July 1, 2019, faculty must use the Cayuse system for routing and approval of fellowship applications before submission to the sponsor. See the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs website for more information on this system.

In the event that a faculty member is awarded an external fellowship that coincides with a Junior or Reynolds Leave, the University and faculty member agree that the external fellowship will be used to supplement leave salaries up to 100% of the faculty member’s nine-month salary, inclusive of benefits. Additionally, the first $5,000 of any fellowship award received which cannot be applied to summer salary and which would take the faculty member beyond 100% of his/her nine-month salary will be set aside as an internal grant to the faculty member for direct (non-salary) research expenses.

Important: Any faculty member seeking funding in the form of an external fellowship should first contact the Office of the Dean of the College (marshap@nullwfu.edu and brownal@nullwfu.edu) and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs regarding the distribution of the fellowship funds, as well as implications to their benefits (medical, dental, vision, life). All external fellowship approvals require that a Routing Form be submitted in advance. (See ORSP website regarding external fellowship funding and approval guidelines.)

External Fellowships

Faculty applying for external fellowships must complete and submit this form to the department chair or program director. For questions, contact Anna Henley.  For more information on Scholarly Leaves, visit this page.