The Wake Forest College Faculty Fellowships are fellowships that honor our best teacher-scholars. Chairs and senior faculty are encouraged to submit nominations for faculty within their departments. All nominations must be endorsed by the chair via a brief email or addendum indicating knowledge and support. Before nominating: please be sure to look at the NEW HELPFUL TIPS below.
Eligibility and Qualifications:
Tenure Track Faculty and Tenured Faculty: Nominees should have distinguished themselves as excellent university citizens. They should be particularly dedicated and successful teachers and mentors in their disciplines as well as demonstrate a strong record of scholarly or creative activity. Typically, qualified tenure track faculty will also have demonstrated involvement in and recognition by external organizations in their disciplines.
Full-time Career Teaching Professionals: Nominees should have distinguished themselves as excellent university citizens. They should be particularly dedicated and successful teachers and mentors in their disciplines. Typically, qualified teaching professionals will also have demonstrated involvement in and recognition by external organizations committed to the teaching of their disciplines.
The letter from the chair/senior faculty member is a fundamental source of what evaluators have to base their decision. Please ensure that the letter is detailed and descriptive when discussing the extent that the applicant:
- has a dynamic research agenda with strong evidence of producing scholarship and/or creative work (appropriate to their rank and discipline)
- is carrying out research and/or creative work that is impactful (appropriate to rank)
- demonstrates excellence in the classroom (please describe, in 1-2 sentences, your department/program’s process for evaluating teaching) and provide a summary of relevant evidence for the candidate such as numerical teaching evaluations or open-ended responses, peer observations, active engagement with the CAT, teaching awards, or significant engagement with pedagogical best practices for the discipline). These teaching materials should be limited to no more than one page in length.
- actively mentors and/or engages with students. Please provide a description, specific instances, etc. At the senior level, the applicant may actively mentor junior colleagues.
- includes service to a department and to the broader Wake Forest community. For tenure-stream faculty, this may also include service to the profession such as holding positions in editorial boards and external organizations, curating exhibits, organizing national or international conferences, etc. For teaching professionals, this may include involvement in, and recognition by, external organizations committed to the teaching of their disciplines.
For faculty interested in applying for external fellowships, please visit the External Fellowships page.
Please email your nomination letter and supporting documentation to Leigh Anne Robinson no later than
March 15, 2024
Information should be submitted electronically as a single PDF email attachment.
- A nomination letter including evidence of outstanding teaching and scholarship (maximum 3 pages)
- The candidate’s current CV in abbreviated form (should include service activities)
- Supporting materials (no more than one page in length)
- Endorsement by chair (if nominated by a senior faculty member)
The nomination letter should make clear to the review committee why this faculty member exemplifies the Wake Forest Teacher-Scholar Ideal and/or is deserving of recognition as an outstanding Teaching Professional. All nominees must demonstrate a commitment to mentoring students and be outstanding citizens of the Wake Forest academic community. Please provide a detailed explanation of the most important activities, traits, contributions, and accomplishments in teaching, mentoring, scholarly or creative work, and service that make this person a successful candidate.
Current Faculty Fellowship Recipients
|Name||Department||Fellowship Name||End Date|
|MacDonald, John||Economics||Bryant/Groves Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Ramachandran, Tanisha||Religion||Bryant/Groves Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Lakdawala, Leah||Economics||Clark Family Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Brady, Shannon||Psychology||Denton Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Kadlac, Adam||Philosophy||Dunn-Riley Faculty Fund Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Pyke, Jenny||English||Dunn-Riley Faculty Fund Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Erway, Jennifer||Mathematics||Gale Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Rahman, Rais||History||Gale Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Curry, J.K.||Theatre & Dance||Susan & Gene Goodson Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Tauber, Joel||Art||Hoak Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Alford, Lucy||English||Kenyon Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Thomas, Rebecca||German & Russian||Kenyon Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Lukesh, John||Chemistry||F. M. Kirby Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Sloan, Michael||Classics||F. M. Kirby Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Guthold, Martin||Physics||Kulynych Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Bender, Margaret||Anthropology||Lam Family Endowed Faculty Fellowship in Anthropology||6/30/2025|
|Esstman, Sarah McDonald||Biology||Robert & Debra Lee Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Pease, James||Biology||Robert & Debra Lee Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Warren, Brian||Classics||Levison Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Anderson, Paul||Physics||MacDonough Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Katula, Jeffrey||Health & Exercise Science||MacDonough Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Gengler, Amanda||Sociology||McCulloch Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Hepler, Staci||Statistical Sciences||Ollen R Nally Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Wolters, Nick||Spanish||Ollen R Nally Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Khuri, Natalia||Computer Science||Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Lee, Derek||English||Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Curley, John (“Jay”)||Art||Rubin Faculty Fellow-Compensation||6/30/2025|
|Jennings, Justin||Philosophy||Scott Family Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Gallegos, Francisco||Philosophy||Zachary T. Smith Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Falcon, Claudia||Mathematics||A.J. Sterge Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Kirkman, Ellen||Mathematics||A.J. Sterge Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2026|
|Lichtenfelz, Leandro||Mathematics||A.J. Sterge Faculty Fellowship||6/30/2025|
|Hellyer, Robert||History||Henry S Stroupe History Faculty Fnd||6/30/2024|
|Lerner, Jeffrey||History||Henry S Stroupe History Faculty Fnd||6/30/2025|
|Lee, Win-Chiat||Philosophy||Tatum Family Faculty Fund Fellowship||6/30/2024|
|Vincent, Amanda||French Studies||Young Family Faculty Support Fellowship||6/30/2024|