In the 2016-2017 Academic Year, the College implemented a new initiative, asking each Department and its faculty to develop an action plan for diversity and inclusion. The plan was to be unique to each department, taking into account the experiences and needs of key stakeholders (e.g., students, faculty, staff, alums, etc.), the program(s) offered (i.e., majors and/or minors), and the general state of the field(s) of study.
The specific goals and objectives for the proposed department-specific Diversity Action Plans are to:
- Facilitate departmental discussion on the disciplinary representation of diversity within a field(s)
- Establish short- and long-range visions for recruiting faculty and students
- Establish strategies for ensuring representative faculty search pools, if applicable
- Explore curricular options and opportunities that support diversity and inclusion
- Explore mentoring and advising “best practices” that support student retention and success
- Explore interdisciplinary opportunities/challenges within the context of diversity and inclusion
- Implement yearly metrics for measuring the success of the diversity action plan
Please contact the department chair for more information about the Diversity Action Plan for a specific department.